In many cases, 60-90 percent of the sales cycle now takes place before a sales rep ever talks with the prospect. A well-optimized web presence is essential, and it's important to nurture your prospects and customers with a well orchestrated system of communication across multiple channels.
Demand generation is key. Marketing and sales must be aligned, with KPI metrics and incentives that keep them focused and working towards a common goal.
Professional Experience: B2B go-to-market executive with particular expertise in Indirect Channels. Blend of Sales, Marketing, and Demand Generation experience gained primarily at venture-backed software companies in Silicon Valley and NYC. 5 years involved with digital marketing solutions, and multi-channel ad agencies.
Sweet Spot: An executive position (VP or above) with a growth stage software business, with responsibility to identify and develop new revenue streams from an Indirect Channels charter, to compliment an already established Direct sales channel. Leading a team of 5 to 50 people.
What I’m good at:
- Strategic Go-To-Market Plan Development – With an emphasis on Demand Generation, Sales, and Indirect Channels
- Indirect Channels/Business Development – Identify and develop incremental revenue streams
- Sales – Direct, Indirect, Inside. Lead and build teams of quota carrying reps
- Demand Generation – Blend of traditional and digital marketing. Drive MQL contribution
- Sales Process Optimization – CRM best practices, Marketing alignment, training, measurement.
- Coaching and mentoring junior sales professionals
Skills and Expertise:
Or add more to the list.
- High - Brian's top skills and expertise are:
- B2B Software
- Go to market strategies
- B2B Sales
- Software-as-a-Service - SaaS
- Channel Partners
- Strategic Alliances
- Medium - Brian is also skilled at:
- Email Marketing
- Demand Generation
- Digital Marketing
- Low - Brian can also help with:
- Marketing Automation
- Inbound Marketing
- SaaS. Document management for environmental compliance
- Implemented Salesforce and associated sales process for multichannel, online digital advertising agency.
- Bought and implemented Act-On marketing automation application for email marketing outreach.
- Staffed, directed and built a marketing data base of over 5,000 companies and 15,000 contacts with valid email addresses.
- Directed company's first-ever demand generation campaigns utilizing SFDC/Act-On.
- Developed and executed strategy resulting in advertising agency channel growth from zero to 25 percent of Conductor revenues.
- Managed strategic partnership with Adobe/Omniture resulting in technology integration, joint marketing, joint sales and more than 100 leads generated.
- Agency sales team exceeded target four consecutive quarters in 2012.
- Reported to CEO, presented at board meetings, member of Strategic Planning Committee.
- Independent consulting focused on go-to-market strategies, sales force productivity and investment research.
- Clients included Owner's Pass, Increo Solutions, Matrix Partners (private equity), Bloomreach.
- Primary responsibility for sales & business development at VC-funded startup in the intelligent video analytics space for business/security applications. Also served as acting head of marketing during company repositioning.
- Reformulated sales strategy away from reliance on manufacturer’s reps and towards a mix of direct sales, VARs and OEMs. Persuaded and signed up early adopters, signed 15 new VARs, increased sales pipeline by 400 percent within six months. Introduced targeted demand-generation campaigns to complement new go-to-market mode.
- Initiated key elements of Vidient’s strategic transformation from software-only company to an appliance-oriented product provider; signed strategic partner agreement with a key technology and marketing provider; orchestrated and led new product launch.
- Recruited to streamline and improve productivity across multiple distribution channels for this public company in enterprise-search software space ($150M/Yr.)
- Optimized mix of people and distribution channels across five revenue streams. Previous strategies and structure resulted in confusion, stalled growth, and low morale. Result: Retention of key personnel, revenue rejuvenation, vertical market penetration, and assimilation of 250 new VARs.
- Secured investment in an OEM product manager, enhancing partner satisfaction and company credibility as an OEM supplier.
- Instituted vertical solutions charter focused on pharmaceutical, financial services, and manufacturing sectors. Hired domain expertise to address specific markets. Result: Vertical solutions provided immediate and incremental revenue for direct sales.
- Averted crisis stemming from a SoX-driven revenue recognition problem which put $2M of revenue at risk. Focusing on top 15 percent of VARs (85 percent of revenue), brought transactions into compliance within 60 days.
- Obviated mass exodus of angry VARs stemming from order entry system’s inability to handle new, high transaction volume of VAR orders. Proposed a new OE system and acted as change agent to force immediate operational process improvements, earning VAR trust and establishing credibility as VAR suppliers.
- Responsible for partner strategy at start-up in enterprise services-procurement software.
- Led key due diligence supporting acquisition of CascadeWorks. Acquisition resulted in tripling of customer base and greatly enhanced Elance sales reach via new partnerships. Facilitated smooth integration of CascadeWorks by leading the post-acquisition integration efforts.
Recruited to help build indirect channel business from scratch for this enterprise CRM provider. With direct sales in place, charter was to generate additional revenues via channels.
Acquired an extensive SaaS partner constituency in 18 months, which contributed one quarter bookings of $20M and recurring revenues of $700K/qtr. Established a robust ongoing SaaS relationship framework.
Developed go-to-market plans for opening new revenue opportunities in the SMB market and for OEM/embedded opportunities. Also, institutionalized company-wide operational template for structuring, capturing, and booking partner contracts for improved revenue recognition.
- Hired, developed and led team of 50 and exceeded quota 14 consecutive quarters at company that pioneered the Internet browser and exploded into the marketplace, in war with Microsoft.
- Expanded traditional OEM business by devising a product liquidation strategy in lieu of product end-of-life, resulting in $10M+ in sale of two EoL products and decreased sustaining engineering costs.
- Proposed and implemented strategy for embedding web servers into non-Microsoft OSs. This resulted in $10s of millions in revenue from Sun, HP, Digital, IBM, Novell, SGI and others.
- Pioneered initiatives that resulted in capturing at least $50M in unforecast revenues.
What People Are Saying About Brian