Product strategy defines the direction of a company’s innovation and new product development activities.
Global expansion has run its course and global markets are reaching the saturation point.
- Companies must expand by innovating new product categories.
- The growth trajectory is to harness product strategy and planning as a competitive differentiator.
Product strategy defines what products to develop, as well as how and when.
- With new operational models that leverage global manufacturing and design partners, a company can be a very effective competitor with limited financial resources.
- Product strategy is the key capability that cannot be outsourced.
- Advises Fortune 500 companies in the areas of strategy, research, development, operations, and marketing (Apple, Cisco, Hewlett Packard, IBM, 3M, NetApp, Riverbed, and Xerox)
- Chief Engineer, Bose Corporation
- Board of Directors of Cirrus Logic (Nasdaq: CRUS)
- Faculty at Case Western’s Executive program; speaker at MIT and Stanford University
- TCGen is an experienced-based management consulting and M&A advisory firm
- Enables organization to grow the top line by acquisition
- Creating new products faster and grow the bottom line by executing more efficiently
- Founding Principal of Product Development Consulting, Inc.
- Companies of all sizes in all industries creating market-winning product portfolios using a customer-centric innovation management approach. Product development spectrum, from portfolio management and collaboration to product definition and metrics.
- Clients: Abbott, Agilent, Apple, Baxter, BD, Bose, Cisco, Corning, Kodak, HP, IBM, Medtronic, Stanley, TI, UPS, WD, 3M
- Managed the development of technologies such as the “Acoustic Wave Music System”, “Wave Radio”, “Lifestyle Home Theatre”, “Noise Reduction Headphone”
- Initial contributor in BOSE’s entry into the automobile OEM business
- Led the product and business development of BOSE’s patented noise reduction technology for the military market
- Co-Inventor of the Bose Noise Canceling Headphone
- Board of Directors, Audit and Compensation Committees - Cirrus Logic (Nasdaq: CRUS) (Sep 2009 - Present). A fabless semiconductor company, develops high-precision, analog and mixed-signal integrated circuits for a broad range of audio and energy markets. FY2013 Revenues - $809M.
- Advisor to the International Association of Product Development, the Gordon Institute, and the Management Roundtable.
- Paradigms Lost: Project Management in an Increasingly Disruptive World, PMI Silicon Valley Symposium, October 2013
- Using Social Networks to Extend the Product Development Team & Create a Competitive Advantage for Your Business, Project Management Institute - Annual Symposium, September 2010
- Product Creation Best Practices “Goldilocks and the Three Bears”, IEEE, June 2009
- Predictive Management Metrics, Clean Tech Open, June 2009
- DOING THE MATH - How to Estimate and Manage Results, IEEE CNSV, December 2009
- Faculty at Case Western Reserve University’s Executive program
- Speaker at MIT and Stanford University
Innovate Products Faster - by John Carter and Jeanne Bradford; Published by: CreateSpace Independent Publishing (April 2012)
What People Are Saying About John
IJ White and Company
Siemens Smart Grid Software