- Counsel, VLP Law Group focusing on emerging growth companies.
- Head of business development for J.Thelander Consulting, which provides statistics, analysis, trends and strategic compensation consulting to established and emerging client organizations.
- 16-plus years experience advising companies and their founders, with a particular focus on pre-IPO companies, through varied transactions, including equity compensation plan adoption, complex financings, mergers and acquisitions, and initial public offerings.
- Corporate and securities attorney at Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich& Rosati, working in both the Palo Alto and Seattle offices.
- Served as corporate counsel for Mozes, Inc. (acquired by HelloWorld, Inc.).
- All 7 Best Practices
- Pre-Call Discovery Process
- One-on-One Call with Expert
- Session Summary Report
- Post-Session Engagement
Executive and Companywide Compensation Strategies
- Cash (in terms of compensation)
- Real dollars received by an executive or employee, usually comprised of annual salary and bonus; exclusive of equity and other employee benefits.
The combination of cash and equity received in consideration for an employee's provision of services, exclusive of employee benefits.
- Compensation infrastructure
The framework (based on a company’s philosophy size, hierarchical structure, growth plan, industry, etc.) developed to guide cash and equity reward decisions.
- Compensation philosophy
- The ideology that shapes a company’s compensation decisions, which takes into account industry, history, anticipated growth, company goals, compensation goals, potential liquidity events.
- Equity (in terms of compensation)
Stock, or rights to purchase stock, granted to an employee, whether vested or unvested.
- Option plans
- A plan formally adopted by a company providing a legal mechanism by which the company grants equity to its employees.