A brand is more than a logo or slogan; strategically it expresses the relationship between an organization and its users.
Brand strategy is the effort to build and maintain a positive brand relationship between organization and user, maximizing the brand’s value in the marketplace.
Five key elements of brand strategy are the promise, the identity, the portfolio, the message and the experience.
If the organization's brand promise aligns to the user's brand experience, the brand succeeds.
If the promise is broken, the brand will ultimately fail.
- 25 years management and marketing experience with focus on brand strategy and product marketing
- Executive Marketing positions for Fortune 100, mid-size, and early-stage companies
- Brands include Sony children and family media properties, Colgate toothbrushes, Mennen Speed Stick, and Konica photo imaging products
- During tenure, Sony properties Sesame Street, Random House and Golden Family Entertainment properties earned 30+ RIAA gold and platinum awards, 2 Grammy awards, and 1 Emmy award
- Strategic and tactical marketing consultancy. Capabilities include branding, product development, communications, and research.
- Marketing services provider, specializing in scalable solutions for under-resourced entities.
- Co-founder of SchoolPush Digital, a developer of customizable apps for educators that connect schools and districts to their constituents -- parents and students, teachers and administrators, board and community members.
- Education management pioneer
- Managed the design and execution of EdisonLearning's brand transformation from Edison Schools to EdisonLearning
- Managed the brand and marketing integration of Provost Systems, a leader in K-12 online learning
- As SVP - Marketing and Operations, led the brand management, product management, and customer service functions for a portfolio of imaging products serving consumer and business markets.
- Products included Konica-branded cameras, film, photographic paper, digital minilabs, digital imaging services and Internet imaging.
- As VP Marketing, led branding and consumer acquisition/retention at multi-media startup.
- Responsible for four business units: website, publishing, software, and ventures.
- Launched three new businesses in six months.
- As VP Marketing, led brand and product management for Sony Music's children and family business, encompassing video, audio and broadcast properties.
- Portfolio included: Sesame Street, Random House, and Golden Family Entertainment titles.
- Won 30+ RIAA gold and platinum titles, 2 Grammy awards, 1 Emmy award.
- Senior Product Manager for brand management, product development, market research and all marketing-related support for market-leading personal care products.
- Portfolio included Colgate toothbrushes and Mennen Speed Stick.
Academic AwardsCharles Lazarus Prize for Entrepreneurs, for TomorrowTech, Inc.
Academic HonorsSumma Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
What People Are Saying About John