Fundraising for Academic Institutions
Fundraising for schools is increasingly difficult, as the competition for donor dollars has expanded. Potential donors are overwhelmed with requests for money.
The proliferation of communication technology and media hasn’t made communicating with donors any easier – on the contrary, it can make it more difficult to reach people with their proliferation of phones, devices and e-mail addresses.
Getting educated about the process and putting proven tools and approaches in place goes a long way toward modernizing your fundraising efforts.
Meet the Expert
TrustedPeer Expert, TrustedPeer, Inc.
Harbor Springs, MI
- $43 million raised as Director of Development for Non-Profits and Academic Institutions
- 15 years with major advertising agencies focusing on automotive marketing programs
Executive Director • The First Tee of Northern Michigan
Jun, 2015 — Present
Director of Advancement • Greens Farms Academy
2012 — 2013
- Responsible for fundraising, alumni and parent relations, communications
- Raised a total of $9 million from Annual and Capital giving
Director of Development • The Stanwich School
2009 — 2012
- Responsible for all fundraising activities and alumni programs
- Raised a total of $14 million from Annual and Capital giving
President • Northern Westchester Hospital Foundation
2007 — 2009
- Responsible for all fundraising, community relations, marketing, PR
- Raised a total of $10 million from Annual and Capital giving, events
Deputy Director • Rippowam Cisqua School
2005 — 2007
- Director of the Annual Fund and Communications
- Responsible for Annual Fund and all Development communications
- Raised $9 million as member of Development team
Regional Account Director • Rubin Postaer
1993 — 1995
- An American advertising and marketing agency
- Honda Motor Company - Launched and ran regional marketing program in New England
- Achieved #1 sales position for first time in Honda history
Account Supervisor • Chiat/Day Advertising
1988 — 1990
- Opened regional marketing office for Nissan Motors in New York
- New York region achieved highest sales largest volume and highest sales growth nationwide
Manager - Public Relations • Cadillac Motor Car Division, General Motors
1986 — 1988
- Manager East Coast Public Relations, New York NY
- Manager West Coast Public Relations, Los Angeles CA
- Opened and ran new regional PR offices in Cadillac’s two largest markets
Account Executive • Dancer Fitzgerald Sample
1984 — 1986
- Client: Toyota Motor Sales
- Responsible for national TV and print advertising for Camry, Corolla, Tercel
Account Executive • D'Arcy MacManus Masius
1980 — 1984
- Clients included: Cadillac, Pontiac, Michigan Consolidated Gas Co., FTD Florists
BA, English, 1980
ThesisThe Novels of Nadine Gordimer: Exploration of the South African Consciousness
What People Are Saying About Melissa
TrustedPeer made it easy to get expert advice in a timely manner. The Discovery Questions before the session helped me to focus on the issue in advance of our session. Finally, the Summary Report from my expert, Melissa Hoglund, provided me with the clarity I needed to move forward. I will certainly consult with TrustedPeer again.
Phoebe Hearst Preschool
Phoebe Hearst Preschool
Packages with Melissa starting from $400
Your Expert Package Includes:
Access to ALL Best Practices authored by TrustedPeer Expert Melissa Hoglund on this topic.
Pre-Meeting Discovery Process
Review and analysis of your issue with pre-meeting discovery questions by Melissa, followed by a 30- or 60-minute one-on-one call. Sample
Your (+colleagues) meeting is directed and focused from the first minute.
Meeting Summary Report
After your call, Melissa completes a Meeting Summary Report to provide you with the session’s discussion topics, analysis, assessment and recommendations for next steps. Sample
After your meeting, continue your relationship with Melissa on your own, or with TrustedPeer’s support.