- 20 years as VP Manufacturing / Operations for 6 medical device companies.
- Sanovas - COO
- Picarro - VP Manufacturing and Customer Support
- CardioDX - VP Operations and Administration
- PEAK Surgical - VP Operations (Acquired by Medtronic)
- Siemens Untrasound - VP Global Supply Chain
- Stryker (NYSE: SYK) - VP Global Operations
- All 7 Best Practices
- Pre-Meeting Discovery Process
- One-on-One Call with Expert
- Meeting Summary Report
- Post-Meeting Engagement
Manufacturing Strategy - Alignment of Tactics and Resources
Risks & Opportunities
If a company's manufacturing strategy lacks clarity and a strong roadmap, and if it is not well aligned with tactics and resources, then that company runs the following risks:
- It can take much longer to commercialize its products and these delays can result in a dramatic escalation of project costs.
- It may use the wrong tactics and wrong approach, which can steer a company off course in terms of goals and metrics. This will lead to extra or wasted work time and ultimately to a disregard of set goals and objectives.
- It may not fully address the customers' needs or expectations, thereby generating customer dissatisfaction and disengagement, and perhaps a decline in business and/or growth.
- If the manufacturing strategy includes an outsourcing strategy, which is not deployed properly, the company could lose some of its innovation footholds and competitive advantage, as well as speed to market.
If a company's manufacturing strategy and roadmap are clear and implemented properly, and if they are well aligned with tactics and resources, then that company will benefit from the following opportunities:
- To be the first to market with a new or revised product offering will improve competitiveness and market strength.
- The ability to improve brand image and reputation and build greater customer loyalty.
- The ability to better identify the right people to bring on board – people who can successfully assume current responsibilities and who are also able to grow with the company tomorrow.
- To employ the right mix of insourcing and outsourcing, which in turn drives better margins and generates greater profitability.
- To enable greater transparency and visibility at every step of the manufacturing process through clear metrics such as product margin, yield and inventory management.