Terrorist financing is the raising and processing of funds to support terrorism.
It is closely related to money laundering: Both are crimes that obscure financial assets for criminal purposes. An important distinction:Money laundering makes "dirty money" legitimate: Criminals use the financial system to hide the source of funds from illegal activities.
Terrorist financing involves legitimate and illegitimate funds: It directs "clean money" to supporting terrorism and cleans "dirty money" from terrorists' criminal activity so it can be used to support their mission.
- Internationally recognized expert on Terrorist Financing with client banks ranging from small (Regions Bank, Ally Bank) to multi-national (J.P. Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch)
- As the FBI's Chief of Terrorist Financing Operations Section, conceived of and directed the initiative that identified the funding of the 9/11 attacks
- Provides topical insights to Congressional committees and to media outlets including: The Wall Street Journal, CNBC, and CBS
- Expertise in delivering investigative intelligence, risk advisory consultations, litigation support services, compliance risk and assessment, and educational seminars and training
- Consulting services and training related to terrorist financing, money laundering, fraud, financial crimes, and due diligence
- Provides litigation support to numerous law firms and serves as expert witness and consultant
- Clients include: J.P. Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Ally Bank, Regions Bank, Nomura Securities, and First Bank
- Strategic partners include: Booze Allen Hamilton, Chartwell Compliance, Deloitte, and Mesirow Financial
- Software partners: include World Compliance, SAS, Bankers Toolbox and Fiserv
- Recognized expert providing testimony to U.S. Congressional Subcommittees and appearing in media: The Wall Street Journal, CBS, CNBC and Fox News
- Managing Director, Northeast Region, for consultancy delivering fraud, anti-money laundering and terrorist financing services
- Delivered AML Lookback services for: Citibank, Merrill Lynch, J.P. Morgan Chase and Giuliani Security and Safety
- Represented IPSA within the industry, through speaking engagements and training programs
- Instituted AML practice
- Designed AML programs and conducted customer due diligence investigations for clients to comply with the U.S. Patriot Act and Bank Secrecy Act
- Clients included: Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Merrill Lynch, and Giuliani Security and Safety
- Chief, Terrorist Financing Operations Section, Counterterrorism Division
- Following the terrorist attacks of September 2001, formulated, established and directed the FBI’s comprehensive terrorist financing initiative that identified the funding stream that supported the attacks
- Developed and implemented a variety of proactive and progressive investigative methodologies, evolving into the formation of a formal Section within the Counterterrorism Division of the FBI, known as The Terrorist Financing Operations Section
- Prior positions span from Supervisory Special Agent to Chief/Financial Crimes Section/Criminal investigative Division, all directed toward financial crimes with increasingly levels of scope, authority, and management
- Other notable investigations include ABSCAM, Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI), and fugitive financier Robert Vesco
- Conducted tax audits to assist in criminal invstigations of money laundering and unreported income as part of the Organized Crime Strike Force
- CIA George H. W. Bush Award for Excellence in Counterterrorism
- DOJ, Criminal Division, Assistant Attorney General Award for Investigative Initiative
- Testimony before the House Committee on Homeland Security, Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence, "Terrorist Financing Since 9/11: Assessing an Evolving al Qaeda and State Sponsors of Terrorism" (5/18/2012)
- Advisor to the Congressional Anti-Terrorist Financing Task Force, chaired by former U.S. Representative Sue Kelly (founded 2004).
- Authored testimony on terrorist financing by senior FBI officials in 2003.
- Chair of the ACAMS DC Capital Chapter Board
Hundreds of industry speeches, including recently:
- Money Laundering.com Annual AML Conference, March 2013
- "Can You Think Like a Fraudster?", World Compliance webinar, January 2013
- ACAMS Annual International Money Laundering Conference 2012
- ABA Regulatory Compliance Conference 2012
- Contributor to CounterterrorismBlog.org