Talent management is a strategic and deliberate approach to attracting the best people to an organization, managing and retaining them once they are in, and developing their talents as they move through the business.
In today's competitive business environment, it is increasingly difficult for companies to find ways to outperform their peers. Managing talent is now the key to enjoying a long-term competitive advantage.
Having a talent management strategy that aligns with the business strategy enables the organization to proactively manage its workforce to make certain it is developing or acquiring the talent needed to succeed.
Edie Goldberg PhD
- 25 years focused on the alignment and development of talent management processes with business strategy.
- 30 years of research at research institutions, universities, and consulting firms.
- Clients include: Allianz Life Insurance, Charles Schwab, Gap Inc., Genentech, Merrimack Pharmaceuticals, PG&E, San Francisco Fire Department, Sony Computer Entertainment America, Washington Mutual, and Williams-Sonoma.
- Design talent management programs and tools, build management capability that will enable the organization to attract, retain, and engage employees in order to achieve more than their competitors.
- Client partnerships focus on human resources systems that support talent management, such as employee selection and onboarding, employee/leadership development, competency modeling, career management, performance management, job and organization design, and succession planning, career management, performance management, leadership development, succession planning, competency modeling, and job and organization design.
- For a Fortune 500 retail organization, developed a career management process resulting in strategic employee rotation within a function; and a track record of promoting from within, increasing employee engagement and retention.
- For an insurance company, developed a performance management process to help improve company culture and performance. Resulted in 94% of employees understanding how pay is tied to performance; and 95% of managers believing that performance management will help them achieve their goals. Company performance changed from significant losses before implementation to profitability post implementation.
- Clients: Allianz Life Insurance, Gap Inc., Genentech, Merrimack Pharmaceuticals, PG&E, SAFECO Insurance, San Francisco Fire Department, Sony Computer Entertainment America, Sun Microsystems, Vail Resorts Management Company, and Williams-Sonoma.
- Global Issues Leader (2001); National Issues Leader (2000); Senior Consultant (1998-1999); Consultant (1997-1998).
- Co-led a Talent Management Initiative that produced both groundbreaking research on employee perceptions regarding what attracts and retains them, and the development of proprietary processes to help companies attract, retain, and engage their workforce.
- Partnered with clients to improve business performance through people by aligning clients' business strategies with talent management programs, including employee selection and onboarding, employee/leadership development, competency modeling, career management, mentoring, performance management, job re-design, and succession planning.
- For Cypress Semiconductor, developed integrated talent management processes - including selection, career pathing and performance management - resulting in an increase of 30% to 75% in job offer acceptance, and a decrease in turnover from 18% to 13%.
- Clients: Shinhan Bank (Korea), DBS Bank (Singapore), Star Alliance, Bechtel, Williams-Sonoma, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Cypress Semiconductor, and Beringer Vineyards.
- Organization and industrial psychologists specializing in assessment and development.
- Manager, Assessment & Development Services (1995-1997); Manager, Public Sector Selection and Assessment (1994-1995); Project Manager (1992-1994).
- Developed valid assessment tools (behavior-based interviews, biodata tests, customer service selection tests, assessment centers and situational judgment tests) for clients, including Safeway, Kroger, and Allstate.
- Contributed to the development of fair and valid selection and promotion for the San Francisco Fire and Police Departments, in response to federal consent decree.
- Statistician/Research Assistant - implemented and evaluated the effectiveness of a Total Quality Management (TQM) program and personnel practices designed to increase organizational effectiveness; included facilitating quality circles in an air re-work facility.
- Assisted in experimental design and theory development (model building), including data gathering, database management, report writing, and presenting at professional conferences.
Academic AwardsGraduate Fellowship (1989-1993)
ThesisEffects of Prior Expectations on Performance Appraisal: a Social-Cognitive Approach
ThesisThe Role of Organizational Climate in the Implementation of Organizational Change
Academic AwardsOutstanding Research in the College of Sciences - 1986; Christopher E. Parker Memorial Award (Outstanding research in the Department of Psychology) - 1987
- Chairperson-Elect, HR People & Strategy (term runs October 2013-2014)
- Vice-Chairperson, HR People & Strategy (2009 - present)
- HR Strategy Forum (2006 - present)
- "Career Management in the 21st Century", HR People & Strategy (HRPS) Global Conference, April, 2012. New York, NY (April 2012).
- "Changing the Conversation on Careers: 7 Ways to Improve Career Satisfaction", The Pacific Northwest HR StrategicForum, Portland, OR (March 2012).
- "Cascading Competencies to Create Focus and Results", Human Capital Institute Webinar (part of HCI’s Strategic Workforce Planning Certification coursework) (July 2008).
- "Performance Metrics that Drive Employee Engagement and Business Results", IOMA Webinar (June 2008)
- "Building Management Capability: The Road to Competitive Advantage", paper presented at the 23rd annual meeting of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, San Francisco, CA (April 2008).
- "Research on the Design and Implementation Factors That Drive Organizational Impact", paper presented at the 22nd annual meeting of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, New York, NY (April 2007).
- "Changing Corporate Culture Through Performance Management" Keynote Presentation given at the 2003 Linkage Corporation annual Conference, Chicago, IL. (June, 2003)
- "Building Core Competencies Through HR Management." Keynote Presentation at the 2002 International Association for Product Development, Seabrook, SC. (March, 2002)
- Instructor, Department of Psychology, San Francisco State University (1995-2000). Taught Master's level courses in Human Resource Management, Industrial Psychology, and Training & Development.
- Research Fellow, Department of Psychology, University at Albany, State University of New York (1998-1992)
- Research Assistant, Department of Psychology, San Diego State University (1983-1989). Conducted research in Transfer of Training, Problem Solving, and Brainstorming.
- "The Changing Tides of Careers", People & Strategy Journal, 35(4), p. 52-58, (2013).
- "Solving the Female Brain Drain Issue", Diversity Executive (on-line), (September 27, 2011)
- "6 Ways You Can Help Your Employees Facilitate Their Career Success", TLNT.com, (September 5, 2011).
- "Career Management: Why HR Needs to be Ready With Expert Advice", TLNT.com, (September 2, 2011).
- "Retaining talent through better management", Talent Management Magazine (on line), (2009).
- "Why you must build management capability," Workforce Management (on line), (November, 2007)
- "Future-oriented job analysis: A description of the process and its organizational implications. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 6(3), 192-197.
What People Are Saying About Edie
IJ White & Co.